Old School Black Gala - Historic Glover School
Literally taking it back to the old school.......
What to Expect
Tickets are $15.00 per person
Time 8pm to 1am
Historic Glover School Auditorium (constructed in 1884, restored in 2015)
The Old School Black Gala will begin at 8pm with Taste of Laura Street food samples, DJ Hamilton and dancing past midnight (end at 1:00a.m).
Chairing and hosting of the 2nd Annual Gala is Bealsville, Incorporated
Sponsors include Gordon Food Services, Fred’s Market, Bealsville, Inc., and Bright House Networks
Proceeds are matched by the John Dicks Family Foundation, Wish Farms, and Regions Bank for college scholarship awards
The Old School Black Gala helps support the legacy of black communities throughout the Plant City in regards to education. This event is becoming a tradition within families, friends and businesses who appreciate the work of the Improvement League and a lovely evening under the stars. This is NOT a black tie affair. Everyone is encouraged to come dressed down.
Producing the Gala is just one of the many activities of The Annual Plant City MLK Festival. Since 1982 the non-profit group Improvement League of Plant City has been dedicated to protecting and preserving Plant City’s historic, architectural and geographic resources; in short, saving the places that matter.
Proceeds from the Old School Black Gala benefit the Annual MLK College Scholarships that are awarded on Sunday at the Plant City MLK Leadership Breakfast.Historic Glover School, 5104 Horton Road, Plant City
Historic Glover School Campus- The Bealsville Community’s first public school, which was called Jamison School, was established approximately around the year 1873. A two–room structure was built shortly after the civil war on property adjacent to the cemetery donated by Mr. Alfred Beal. Students from the first to fifth grades were taught in these two rooms. This new school quickly became a central point of activity in this small community. Although some students came from surrounding communities, Bealsville students were often in classes with and taught by cousins, neighbors, and fellow church members. Local people staffed the lunchroom and made up most of the custodial staff. Close relationships were formed between students, teachers, administrators, and parents in this environment. This was the ideal community school that reigns positively in popular nostalgia. As the student enrollment increased, a third was established at Antioch Baptist Church.Over the next several decades’ residents pleaded for a new school. In 1932 the residents raised $1,100 from fish fries, ice cream sales, and musicals. Ben Glover donated ten acres to the Hillsborough County School Board. The school matched these funds and new wood-framed school was built in 1933. Two years later, the school was renamed after William Glover, who was the father of Ben Glover. This school campus is owned and maintained by Bealsville, Incorporated and listed on the National Register.